Did you know the Republic Services trash truck’s mechanical arms can reach nine feet? PLEASE keep your trash bins three feet from the road to give the Road Department room to plow.
Items below are picked up on the first full week of the month on your regular pick up day. Items must be available by 6:00 a.m. Please note that a different truck comes to pick up your bulk items. They will pick up:
- Household furniture
- Carpeting cut in lengths of 4′ or less, tied, bundled and rolled weighing no more than 40 pounds per bundle.
- Tables, swing sets and TV sets
- Refrigerators, freezers – DOORS REMOVED – FREON REMOVED
- Window AC units and dehumidifiers – FREON REMOVED
- Washers & drivers
- Six extra bags of trash or 3 (35-gallon) cans of trash
- Christmas trees picked up the second full week of January
Bulk Item Pickup
Republic doesn’t post a schedule that we’re aware of. They told Elyria Township that bulk pickup is your regular trash day the first full week beginning on a Monday. You may want to call or visit their website republicservices.com to confirm.
Please contact Republic Services at 800.433.1309 or 440.458.5191 with any questions. You can also call them for a recording of each holiday schedule.
Brush collection: January through September
Brush collection starts the last Monday of each month, except for October, November, and December due to leaf collection, but will resume in January. Please call (440) 324-3517 before 8:00 AM prior to the last Monday, if you don’t call we may not pick it up. Leave your name, address and phone number and please talk slowly so we can schedule our route for that day. Calls received after 8:00 AM on the Monday of the collection will be added to the list for the following month.
Do not bag your brush. Place the cut ends of your branches toward the road. If you have a large quantity help us out and spread it out across your yard. When the piles get high it is hard to pull the branches out. Our chipper does not like prickers, flowers, weeds, corn stocks, any type of grapevine material, or firewood size logs. They plug up our filters and intake screens and get caught up in the feed reels. If you pay a contractor to trim or cut down your tree they are responsible for what they do; the Road Department will not pick it up. This was a motion passed by the Board of Trustees.
Wood chips are free to township residents and they can be dropped off in your driveway when the Road Department is out chipping. Request wood chips by leaving a message at 324-3517.
Damage to your Mailbox by a Township Snowplow
If a township’s snowplow damages your mailbox:
Your mailbox will be repaired or replaced by the township with a standard rural type mailbox on a 4×4 wood post provided that:
- Your damaged mailbox had been installed the proper distance from the road berm. (See link below.)
- In addition, if the mailbox and its post were deteriorated, the decision to replace either part will be at the discretion of the Elyria Township Road Department. Mailbox Installation Instructions
Please mark both sides of your mailbox with your address so the emergency services can find you if needed, remember in an emergency, every minute counts. Address signs can be purchased at the fire station.